1.6.10

Food Fight

I just finished watching the film "Food Inc." If you haven't seen it, you should. It'll give you some "food for thought" about the American food industry. I'd like to think where I live, our food system isn't completely controlled by industry giants, but with our close ties to the States, it makes me second guess that. (Click on the image to preview the Food Inc Trailer).



I've challenged myself this summer - buy all my fruit and vegetables from the local Byward Market farmers. Every summer they have booth after booth of fresh garden goodness. We picked up bags of crisp green beans, 4 sweet bell peppers, potatoes, tomatoes, wild garlic, onions, and zucchini for $15! And we got a lot, I mean, three grocery bags full! Ryan made me an amazing vegetable casserole on my birthday, and we have leftovers to last us a month! My friend Megan gave me Smith & MacKinnon's "The 100-Mile Diet". Buying my fruit and veggies at the market is a small, achievable goal. We'll see if after reading this book, I'll be willing to take it to the next level...

No comments:

Post a Comment